Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rowing! It's baa-aaaaack + weather statements! And thunder!

Yep, have dusted off Pepper's proud purple cover that keeps her slightly careworn sleek purple hide shining. To weirdly mix metaphors.

Fourth row this morning. And I noticed something this morning. This trying-to-row-semi-fast business? It's hard work. I spent a sliver of my row blaming impeller (equipment) failure for reflecting such a low split ... but I wasn't v persuasive, even to myself.

But, highlight of morning's row? Me and the white swan, hanging out together on the river, no one else in sight. At least I think it was a swan. It sure looked like a swan. Are there swans on the Charles? Is that possible?

Anyway, the swanlike thing, it was lovely. Right after the Northeastern boathouse, heading upstream, I turn the corner, and there it was, floating in the middle of the river. It's not like you never see them or never curse at them while trying to avoid (while at full pressure) a combo of them, bridges and other boats, but today, it was mellow, just an open river, me & Pepper, and Mr/Ms Swan. Pretty cool.

So, now that I'm talking rowing again, you'll undoubtedly remember the mileage saga from last year.... No, I didn't hit 500 (sigh), yes, I did get to keep my rack space (bigger sigh of relief). This year, I must, I must! 500, man. So, I'm starting to keep track, because it'll be December before you know it. Promise.

I was surprised by how smooth my first row in a single was, two weeks ago. Me being the cautious me that I can be (I'm channeling Dr Seuss!), I waited until most of the boathouse was already out rowing to slightly shame me into it. It's just that a part of me really thinks I might die, y'all! For real. Rowing in wind, cold temps, colder water ... tho I've never flipped, I know it'll happen one day, and I rather it not be on a day when water and/or air temps will kill me. But, this healthy fear can get a little carried away. A leetle.

So, I waited til April to start rowing. So what! Anyway, first row, the first few strokes are always highly, highly (highly) wobbly. I feel like it took me a few rows last year before I started gaining a sense of comfortableness, but maybe that's just the PR my highly cautious you're-gonna-die! side fed me. But this time, I rowed up to the nearby River St bridge, and was like, yeah, OK, this rowing thing, I got it. I jumped into the coaching session and even got some praise from the coach. My rowing in a single seems to be much better than in a double. Funny, double is much more stable, but then you've gotta sync up with someone and being in bow (steering) is always kinda stressful the first handful of times.

Other cool rowing thing -- my third row out, last Sunday, light rain/drizzle falling, gliding from under a bridge, the hiss of light rain hitting the water. Love that sound.

Now, on to my other great love ... weather!

How I love, love, love weather statements! The all-caps, the funny wording, the caution mixed with "impending disaster" in its warnings. And, more than anything, how I love storms! Summer storms are just as good as winter ones, fun and exciting in a whole different way. As long as I'm not out on the water -- remember my near heart attack with that last year? Yes, me, too. No more of that, please. But, otherwise -- thunder? lightening? Bring 'em!

So, check out today's orange weather alert!

Special Weather Statement for Southeast Middlesex, MA

Issued by The National Weather Service
Boston, MA
2:19 pm EDT, Thu., Apr. 22, 2010

... SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING THIS AFTERNOON...

UNSEASONABLY WARM TEMPERATURES IN THE 60S WILL FUEL SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON. PEOPLE WITH OUTDOOR INTERESTS THIS AFTERNOON SHOULD REMAIN ALERT AS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS COULD DEVELOP RIGHT OVERHEAD. [C'mon, this is awkwardly charming, admit it! "Right overhead"?? gasp] WHILE LIGHTNING IS EXPECTED TO BE INFREQUENT... IT WILL STILL BE A RISK WHICH COULD STRIKE WITH LITTLE OR NO WARNING. [Ha! Take that, infidels!] SMALL HAIL COULD ALSO ACCOMPANY THE STRONGEST THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON. [God only knows what harm that could wreak ... small hail?? Ruuuunnnnnnnnnnnn!]

THE MAIN PERIOD OF CONCERN WILL BE THROUGH 8 PM. ONCE THE SUN SETS THIS EVENING... THE INTENSITY OF THESE SHOWERS AND ANY THUNDERSTORMS WILL RAPIDLY DIMINISH. [See, a happy ending.]


May you all have an all-cap thunderstormy kind of night! It's thundering here!! !! !!

No comments:

Post a Comment