Monday, September 6, 2010

What I do all day

So, one of the things I'm way past due to report is what-all I spend my days doing. Some of you have professed great mystery as to these doings. And it's true, it is deep, dark and mysterious. Can't blame you for wondering.

Y'all know I'm a writer and an editor, naturally. So, to buy the kitty food these days, I'm doing marketing writing and promotions for a healthcare company.

My specific group mainly targets high-level hospital executives with a variety of informational products -- a magazine, a news website, newsletters and e-letters, live seminars/events and webcasts, stuff like that. The volume of products and promotions the company puts out is impressive, so I'm mostly spending my time scurrying around to write copy for the new stuff and get email and direct mail promotions and banners and web pages out the door for existing stuff, so that involves a little writing, some editing, lots of checking, proofing, and mostly, just systems and codes and things that make my head spin.

The actual work work of it is pretty clearcut and cool. The systems around all that ... ay yi yi. But, incrementally, I'm learning.

I do still hold the freelance dream, would love to return to that and be able to support myself, and I think it's doable, I just don't quite know how yet. But I'm keeping a little, little going on the side, so that feels like something.

And now the deep, dark mystery is solved, and you can sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment